THOUGHTFUL THURSDAY

Hello Peeps!

Well, Selina's taking a well-earned day off from her blog entries, so I'm filling in.  I'm Selina's MomKatt, Laura, with some thoughts on my little uniocular baby (realizing that, as of Sat. July 9, she will have been with us for three months exactly!)

She's a nut, first of all.  If you don't laugh in the first two minutes of being in the same room with her, you have NO sense of humor and are a total waste of space as a human being.

She's totally fearless.  She'll try anything once - I wish I had that kind of courage.  The Civil War historian, Shelby Foote, said that U. S. Grant had what Foote termed "4 o'clock in the morning courage", the kind of courage where Grant could have been awoken at 4 AM, told the enemy had just turned his right flank and still be as cool as a cucumber.  That's my Selina - nothing fazes her.  She frequently plays so hard that she rolls off of my ottoman in my office/her bedroom, and she's fallen off the top - the TOP! - shelf of our cat tree downstairs (scaring the beejezus out of me, let me tell you) but she literally bounces back up onto the ottoman (or, in the second instance, scrambles right back up the cat tree to that same top spot) without batting her one eyelid.  Fear isn't in her vocabulary or her world - she just carries on playing, harder than ever.

I support Blind Cat Rescue in St. Paul, NC, near Fayetteville, and I was hoping that, at some point, I'd be able to adopt a blind kitty from them, because they are just so wonderful.  Then Selina came along and I knew she was for me.  She isn't "blind" of course, but she's still a "special needs" kitty, in that she only has the one eye (and we all know the idiots who wouldn't adopt her because she wasn't "perfect", don't we?)  

Then again, Selina ISN'T in "need" of anything, really, because when you meet her on her level, you immediately realize that she gets along as well, if not better, than a two-eyed kitty.  Independent, feisty, wiggly ... and then, she stops, miaows at me with her little head cocked to one side like she does, gazing at me with that one, clear, mint-green eye before starting to purr like a diesel dump truck in sixth gear.  Then I know I'm loved; then I know she's in "need" of my love in return, which I willingly give, and I'd maim the first person that dared lay a hand on her, or who might make fun of her for any reason, just because she's not "normal" or "regular".  

On the contrary, she's MORE normal and MORE regular.  In fact, she's BEAUTIFUL - a sleek, little panther girl with GLEAMING black fur, one shiny, wide-open eye, a LONG and active tail, and LOOOONGGGG back feet that have a lot of thrust when she's jumping from desk to ottoman, or launching herself from the top shelf on the cat tree to the steps to ZOOM upstairs (seriously, I'm thinking of enlisting her in the space program).  She also has a big, big heart in that long, tubular body of hers.

As is the case in the best of rescues, we've rescued each other.  She's inspired me, in part, to start Weight Watchers (my 2-month anniversary of being on that program is today) because, since she just "goes for it" no matter what she's doing, and "fail" isn't a concept she even thinks of, why the hell should I limit myself?  I just know she's going to continue to inspire me for however long (and I hope it's years and years) we are given together.  

So thank you all for reading about her & supporting her & loving her & being interested in her antics & condition & everything about her.  Selina is a heartbreaker, and she breaks mine every morning when I have to leave for work, because I'd ten times rather stay home & play with her.  But the good part is I know I'll be back at the end of the day, and she'll be there, along with all my other babies.

And she'll be back here tomorrow!

MomKatt Laura

PS - I think we can now officially call her a "lap cat".  She found my lap BEFORE I sat down on the sofa last night, then proceeded to go after my Subway BMT sub!  Little minx ..... :) :) :)    

Comments

  1. awwwww - what a great tribute to your girl!! It is fun to watch them be completely fearless - even when it scares the heck out of us. I remember reading in Homer's Odyssey about Gwen realizing that she had to let him be wild - he doesn't know he is blind or different - she had to accept that it was HER perception of him. :) What a great lesson....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Selina is awesome! Sounds like you need to get some videos of her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're so happy that Selina is doing so well...and has been such an inspiration to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Selina captured all our hearts from the first time we saw that beautiful girl. She really is an inspiration to all of us, and so are you Momcatt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It warms our heart to know Selina is doing so well, and that the two of you are such blessings to each other. You are BOTH inspirations to us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like Selina is verrrry happy! So glad she found you, Laura.

    Laura & Taffy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is great that you and Selina found each other.

    The world can always use more black cats.

    ppuurrrrrss from the Pirate Girls.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Journey - Selina Carter, April 9, 2011 - March 6, 2024

Bag Day!

Well(er) Wednesday