An unexpected weekend trip

Early on Sat. morning, I found myself in a kitty carrier, riding in MomKatt's MINI.  It was a grey, misty, rainy & cold morning, but she knew something was wrong and had called the office first thing when they opened at 8 AM.  When they said they could work me in, I was put into the carrier quicker than boiled asparagus!

She had came into my room that morning to wake me up & scoop the litter box and I didn't run over to her like I normally do, nor was I waiting behind the office door.  I was just sitting on the floor, between the purple chair and the litterbox, in bread-loaf position. I didn't meow, I didn't go to her like I usually do and MomKatt saw immediately that I wasn't feeling good.

Plus, for the last 3-4 days, I'd suddenly have "coughing" fits.  I'd lower my chin parallel to the ground and ... wheeze, or sound as if I had a hairball that I was trying to cough up.  These would continue for about 1-2 minutes, then I'd stop.  Whenever this happened, no hairball appeared, so MomKatt had ruled that out, but I didn't seem bothered in any other way.  She'd decided that, if these wheezing things were still happening by today, she was going to call the vet but, Sat. morning, she knew, from my listlessness (SO not like me!) that it was time to head to the vet then and not to wait.

Of course, everyone wants to get into my vet on Saturdays, so all there was to do was to drop me off and wait 'til 11:30 when they'd call her after "working me in".  MomKatt haunted a nearby Starbucks and read from about 8:30 until 11:10 when she finally packed it up & drove back to the vet.  They called her when she was within sight of the building and soon we were reunited.  I was still quiet, but I was a good girl and didn't make any fuss at all.

Dr. Brigham said that, from what he could see & hear, I'd had some kind of asthma-type incident, but that he'd given me two shots of some pretty sooped-up medicine.  (I didn't like the shots but he said I was a "trooper" while I was getting them.  I also found out I'm a svelte 11 pounds, thank you!).  He told MomKatt that, if I wasn't better by Mon., to call him & he'd get me back to get some chest X-rays.  However, he said, he felt confident that the shots would do the trick.

MomKatt was VERY worried and upset.  She's never seen me sick before - plus all the stress lately with Boudicca being such a butthead towards me, she thought the stress of that was taking its toll, too.  She only knew that something "wasn't right" with me - and she acted on that assumption. 


I'm happy to report I'm MUCH better today - and I've not coughed ONCE since Sat.! (I obliged Dr. Brigham in the office by actually HAVING a coughing session while I was there, so he could see first-hand ... um ... paw ... how I sounded & what was happening with me.  MomKatt said she was very proud of me that I was such a cooperative patient, and demonstrated my symptoms so willingly to the nice man.  I love Dr. Brigham!)

So this proves that it's true:  YOU know your cat the best of ANYONEYOU know when we aren't "ourselves" and you should ALWAYS act on that instinct.  Better to be told "It's nothing" than to think, "It's nothing" and be wrong.


For being such a good kitty, I was watched over VERY closely these last two days.  I supervised MomKatt while she cleaned house Sat. afternoon, curled up on the sofa the whole time while she worked, then I got lots of lap time that night and nearly all afternoon/evening yesterday while she & DadKatt did their usual Sunday movie-watching.  She's still keeping a close eye on me, but she's very relieved (and so is DadKatt) that I'm no longer wheezing/coughing.

And so am I!!  Being sick is NO fun.


PURRS!
A much-better, and well-looked-after, Selina


PS - While I was in the exam room after we first got there, I heard a dog barking!

Comments

  1. Glad to hear you are feeling better, and yes it is important to listen to those subtle signs our kitties show us.

    Btw, that is one sleek glossy coat you have there. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miaow Connie, nice to meet you & thank you! :) :) MomKatt LOVES how my coat shines, too!!!

      PURRS!
      Selina

      Delete
  2. We are glad your mom is your BEST advocate. Mom says that with our fosters - they live here and she is responsible for knowing how they are doing...even when sometimes she thinks the vet or rescue gives her a hard time. We are glad you are feeling better.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do they give her a hard time? Money, I'll bet. *sigh* Well, darn it, you can't foster healthy kitties w/out some vet involvement at some points, now CAN you? But good for her for being responsible - our meowms could teach a great many people in THAT department, could they not??

      PURRS to you my furriends!

      Delete
  3. Hannah lives with asthma and she is on a low dose of steroids on alternate days. Purrhaps the two of you can start an asthma club!
    Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Hannah, I'm so sorry you have to do that!

      Dr. Brigham said he felt pretty sure this wouldn't re-occur, but MomKatt's keeping a weather eye on me nonetheless. She hopes he's right!

      Delete
  4. I sure am glad you are doing better sweet Selina, that stuff is no fun. MomKatt did the best thing getting you checked out so soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meowlo Brian! Thanks for your message & tell your hooman MomKatt says hello!!!

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear that you are feeling better after those shot´s that Dr Brigham gave you !
    My mom say´s that your mom did the right thing to take you to the vet so soon !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did not want to wait 'til Monday - plus I'd have had to stay all day on Mon., since she would've had to have dropped me off before work & not pick me up 'til she was off at 5 PM.

      I LIKE the vet's office but don't want to stay there all DAY! MOL

      Thanks for your good wishes, my furriends!

      Delete
  6. When you described how you were coughing, I could tell almost immediately it was probably something asthmatic (I've had those too), so I was not surprised at what the vet said - and that the medicine he gave you made you feel better! I hope you continue to be okay! Purrs to you... btw, my human also has a MINI! She loves it. Me? I'm not thrilled with it, I will tell you that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sparkle, that's good to know! MomKatt's never encountered this with her other kitties before and, as you know, I'm a special case so her concern was multiplied! Thank you for your good wishes.

      Oh! MomKatt wants to know - what year is your meowmy's MINI? Color, etc.? Hers is a 2006 Chili Red w/Union Jack flags all OVER it. She says it's "heritage"! MOL

      I actually don't mind riding in it. Once she got the carrier situated comfortably on the seat next to her, I was fine. As long as I can see her! :) :)

      Delete
  7. Selina, we are so happy you are feeling better now. We sure hope those shots have done the trick and you don't have any more problems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are very glad that MomKatt was paying close attention, and got you in to the vet promptly, Selina. And we hope that this nastiness doesn't recur. I know my woman watches me closely, too.

    So pssst: Don't let your MomKatt read this. How do you plan to celebrate her purrthday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humm ... don't know yet. That's a very good question. I think SHE should celebrate it by giving me some extra catnip! MOL I know she's taking Friday off and pretending that THAT is her b'day and not Thurs. So purr-haps extra lap time? That's the gift that keeps on giving for us BOTH!!!

      Delete
  9. We are glad you are feeling better again Selina. Mums always know when we are not feeling well. You look lovely and shiny in your picture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Journey - Selina Carter, April 9, 2011 - March 6, 2024

Bag Day!

Well(er) Wednesday