My Thoughts on "Remember Me Thursday"

Meowlo, Peeps.

Do any of you remember this photo of me?




Yep.  This is the photo that Brian of Brian's Home posted way back in The Dark Ages when they were trying to find a home for me.  He had written something along the lines of, "Look at me.  Who would want me?"

Well, MomKatt took a look at me and WANTED me.  Me - a cat someone else, maybe a lot of people, would look at and say, "Oh, it's a black cat. Big deal."  Or maybe, "Well, she's not PERFECT, is she?  I mean, she's only got one eye!"  People HAD already laughed at me on the country club golf course where my Uncle Bill was caring for me, just because I was having trouble hunting a chipmunk.  I was HUNGRY and they laughed at me.


But Uncle Bill cared.  And Brian's hooman cared, and a bunch of other folks did, too, and they got the word out and took care of me and, when MomKatt saw me online, she said to herself, literally, "You're going to be MY kitty."

And she begged DadKatt, who was saying they already had enough kitties, showing him this picture, and telling him about my sad history, and about how brave I was and how it was going to take someone VERY special to adopt me and that she wanted them to be those special people.


And he said ... "Yes."

Today is "Remember Me Thursday".  It is a day to remember all the cats and kittens who don't have homes, and who so desperately deserve them.  It's an "Adoption Awareness Campaign" and, no, you can't save ALL of us, it would be totally impossible, and it is.

But maybe you can save ONE.  Like I was saved.  Just ONE life.  It's a ripple that goes across a pond, producing more and more ripples.  Many shelters now are "no kill", more than used to be, but ... many are NOT.  So many wonderful companion animals senselessly lose their lives in these other kinds of shelters, all because of over-population (SPAY AND NEUTER!) and because, for whatever reason, they don't get adopted.  And that's sad.  It's a waste of a beautiful life.


We're supposed to light a candle for this day.  So I shall do so, and while I do so, I will imagine a shelter kitty, like I used to imagine what it might be like to be a 100% indoor kitty.  To have my own bed, and snuggle with someone who loved me in a chair or on a couch.  I would imagine these things and yearn for them, like so many cats currently in shelters do.  Somewhere there might be a shelter kitty like me - waiting for YOU.

We light a candle to pay respect to innocent lives lost to human cruelty and neglect or the thousand other meannesses some folks inflict upon us.  

You can light a virtual candle here:

Light a Candle for a Pet - Remember Me Thursday 

Believe me, when that imagining goes from fantasy to reality ... it's a joyous thing.  I'm in a home where I'm adored and pampered and laughed at and laughed WITH and it's all done with LOVE.  But if it hadn't been for all those kind people helping me and seeing something besides "just another black cat" when they looked at me, besides seeing something some would deem "imperfect" through no fault of my own, besides seeing through to what a beautiful soul I was and seeing, as MomKatt tells me, "how much love I had to give" ... I wouldn't be here today.

Nor would all the lucky animals who HAVE been adopted into forever homes.

So wherever this goes, take it from me:   if you adopt a cat or kitten, you ARE making a difference.


Even if it's just ONE.


Thank you.


Purrz

Selina & a very grateful MomKatt Laura

      

Comments

  1. Although I LOVE our local rescues (and all the rescues all over the world), I do always encourage humans to adopt from the kill shelters (or open admission, as they prefer to be called) - because you are literally saving a life. Purrs for the awesome message, Selina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if you adopt from a non-kill shelter, that opens up a spot for them to save a kitty from a kill shelter so it all works out.

      Delete
  2. we remeburr yur storee bak in R catster dayz selina, thanx for sharin it again...bee ther loss... N yur moms gain.....extree hugs ta unka bill two day... oh kay !! XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad your story had such a happy ending Selina, and wish all the shelter kitties could be safe and get loving homes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me tear up, Selena!! I was unwanted, and not perfect either (just between you and me, I have an old war wound from my days on the street), but there are some kind folk out there like your mom and mine (much as I hate to admit it!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I remember and I just knew you would be someones special family member. We remember all of the others every single day and will keep fighting to help them. That was a lovely and moving post dear Selina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're so glad you found a wonderful forever home, Selena. Ashton only has one eye, and cats like you and Ashton don't stand a chance at kill shelters because you're not "perfect." We lit our candle for all of the imperfect cats with so much love to give who didn't have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're purring for the day when all kitties and woofies have wonderful forever homes.

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is what we need more of caring people,xx Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are so glad that you found your loving furever home with your MomKatt.
    Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are so glad that you found your loving furever home with your MomKatt.
    Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are so glad that you found your loving furever home with your MomKatt.
    Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a lovely lovely post Selina!
    Lots of purrs to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post. I love the idea of Remember Me Thursday and have lit a candle. I was in 2 shelters before the peeps sprang me. I remember that photo and you look so sleek and beautiful today. I would've loved it if your human had seen it from one of my tweet or FB messages but I didn't know your Mom back then.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We remember that picture of you and that they called you Faith, and how happy we were you got your Mom & Dad and they let you have a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We did light a candle inside the house and outside..and i would have had you too Selina ..i have not seen that pic but i see what i choose to and that is a beautiful kitty who has a lot to offer..i think all creatures beauty lies in what they are capable of not what they look like ..huge hugs to you Fozziemum xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never ever forget where I came from...and how many were left behind when I was saved....paw hugs, Savvy

    ReplyDelete
  17. We remember your story, Selina and we're so happy you found a wonderful MomKatt. We're late for your bloggie, but we were in time for Thursday's remembrance candlelight. Pawkiss :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Selina, I am so glad you found your perfect home. You deserve love and happiness. I wish every cat were as lucky as we are.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Of course we remember you! And your very sad story of human apathy too. And we remember Brian's help.
    God bless you, sweetheart. Our love is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful post, Selina. You are perfect and beautiful in every way. Our wish is that every cat can have the joy and love we have...a forever home.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was such a beautiful and touching post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Our humans were out of town so our Mom lit one of those virtual candles on-line. In her opinion, no black cat is just another black cat. Each is special as are all God's creatures. She does wish she could save all kitties, which makes our dad very nervous! She loved hearing Selina's story. She has wanted to adopt Rachel and Ray since the first time she saw them, but unlike Selina's dad, our dad won't say, "yes." He just keeps saying "Eight is Enough." That's why we keep praying for Rachel and Ray to find the purrfect forever home. Purrs and hugs, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Journey - Selina Carter, April 9, 2011 - March 6, 2024

Bag Day!

Well(er) Wednesday